Feedback

Coordinator
Oct 8, 2008 at 1:29 PM
Thanks for taking the time and looking at Writespace. I'd love to hear from you - what sucks, what's good (if anything), what's missing? 

Please use the Issue Tracker to submit bugs and such.
Oct 8, 2008 at 10:54 PM
This looks awesome, I can't wait to play with it. Just wanted to let you know =)
Coordinator
Oct 8, 2008 at 11:00 PM
Cool, thanks. Just make sure you download version 1.1 I just uploaded, because it fixes a bug in the options dialog (settings were not saved :) and you got support for multiple monitors.

I should consider refactoring some of the code from the Ribbons class to a controller... maybe this weekend :)
Oct 11, 2008 at 7:31 AM
I'll try 1.1, does this include the bug (I'm assuming it's a bug) that doesn't allow you to change the font? I have nothing against Courier New, but it seems odd to display a font list and not be able to actually pick a font ;)

---
V
Coordinator
Oct 11, 2008 at 7:52 AM
The current version, 1.1, should work just fine. The font list should display properly on 1.0 as well, but the option settings were not saved into the user settings properly when you pressed the Save button. That's fixed in 1.1
Mar 5, 2009 at 9:28 AM
Hi!

First of all, thanks for taking the time and effort to create this! It's a beautiful idea, and I would be very happy to use it instead of Darkroom. I love the fading effects.

I've noticed a couple of issues which prevent me from using WriteSpace, however:

1) I use a dual-monitor system (Windowr Vista Business edition). My primary monitor is on the right, while my secondary is on the left. (So x=0 is actually the left-most side of my _secondary_ monitor). When running WriteSpace, it takes up my secondary monitor only, while the primary still shows Word in all of its distracting glory. The desired behavior would be to darken both screens and have the "working area" show up only on the primary monitor. Would that be possible?

2) I write a right-to-left language (Hebrew). Within WriteSpace, it works fine. However, when I exit WriteSpace, the text gets aligned as LTR (Left-To-Right) again. It would be wonderful if you could preserve this attribute from within the text. For RTL-only texts I could always just change it myself with a click of a button, but some texts are mixed (LTR and RTL paragraphs in one document), and I would be very happy to use WriteSpace on such texts as well.

Thanks again!
Coordinator
Mar 5, 2009 at 12:21 PM
Hi ezuk and thanks for trying out the Writespace.

1) did you know you can move the Writespace working area between the montiors with CTRL+M? I'm not sure I would like to have the other monitor black, but I can understand that others might want to do so. I'll think about adding an option to darken that other unused screen :)

2) so when you exit Writespace back to Word, the text in Word gets left-aligned? Currently I'm not storing any attributes related to the text edited in Writespace at all (as you've noticed), it's plain text, not richtext. I've been thinking of adding some support for simple formating such as italics, underscore and so on, but I'm not sure. Once you start to add richtext capabilities you never know where to stop. I'll think about it though!
Mar 5, 2009 at 1:39 PM
Edited Mar 5, 2009 at 1:40 PM
all rite, it nice and it took me a day to install it
but it seem to be out of order with me
I cant see any change image
help me
I want to use it
thank

Coordinator
Mar 5, 2009 at 1:44 PM
Hi fonk,

not sure what your problem actually is. From the image you posted, it seems as if you are trying to install the same version of Writespace more than once.

If you are not sure how to activate Writespace from Word, you will find the button from the "View" tab in the Word Ribbon.
Mar 5, 2009 at 2:57 PM
hello Johand
I just want to show you that although I 've already installed WS on my machine but It doesn't appear on the View Ribbon
I dont know how to fix it
thank
Coordinator
Mar 5, 2009 at 3:01 PM
Hi fonk. Alright, I understand. Unfortunately I have no idea why you cannot see it. I would try and uninstall it completely and try to install it again, even though I'm not sure it would help. It could be that you're missing some required part, but the setup.exe in the downloaded zip should handle that for you, downloading the office pia etc.

Sorry!
Mar 5, 2009 at 3:16 PM
Hello Johan
Thank you for your quickly responding
I want to make it more clear that it takes me a lot of time to install .NET framework 3.5 SP1 , I think that may be trouble
I will remove .NET and then reinstall
I must use this useful tool to kill my distraction
thank you so much

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:38 PM
Edited Mar 5, 2009 at 3:42 PM

hello Johan

I already got it, the problem here is that I disabled WS add-in in Word options to avoid an another annoyed error

So I decide to find another way to live with them

Thank you very much for your very beautiful and useful tool

best regard

ps: I type these lines on WS :p                                                                    

Coordinator
Mar 6, 2009 at 6:46 PM
I'm glad you seem to have sorted things out :)
Mar 26, 2009 at 6:25 PM
First--Fantastic application!  I am on the verge of switching from DarkRoom, but there are two little things that I really like that seem like it might be simple to incorporate into Writespace.

1. A draggable--or even a settable top margin (even a 1 inch one would help).  Right now, Writespace puts the text right at the very top of the screen and I like the way both Scrivener and DarkRoom give a little room at the top before starting the text.

2. The ability to change the background color of the text box in Writespace, like a sheet of paper against a black desktop.

Two minor things, but things that I really like in those two other applications and that I find can be set to improve legibility for me.

Thanks for a great app!
Mar 30, 2009 at 6:37 PM
UPDATE TO ABOVE:
I successfully implemented those two things that I wanted, and also a live Word Count at the bottom right (over your "Line and Column") that also fades in and out when hovered over, which works great (I like to set word count goals for myself on writing each day).

Right now, the background is locked at my chosen color, and the top/bottom margins are also locked to about an inch on both--but I hope to make it a configurable thing soon.

The is one little thing that I have been trying to implement for 2 days now though--with no luck--and that is an "Auto-Indent" feature when I press the Enter key.  To me that would be a great optional feature to add.

Thanks again.
Coordinator
Mar 31, 2009 at 9:19 PM
Hey cainrisen, thanks for the feedback. If you feel like it, you can email me the code for any part that you think is good and stable so that I can incorporate it in the source and release a new version. It's completely up to you :)

I like the word count and the ability to set/drag the top margin. The background colour could be in the options dialog maybe?

I've been thinking of a way to set a word count goal for the document, perhaps store the value inside the docx file, then include some visual indicator to how "far from the goal" you are with the word count. Again, it should be an option.
Apr 11, 2009 at 10:56 PM
Thanks for writing this app! DarkRoom is great, but having things work within Word is a big bonus. My comments/suggestions:

1. I would like to be able to turn the "Line and Column" feature off. Perhaps this could be an option. I find it distracting with no great benefit to me.

2. I second the idea of the vertical margin adjustment (I would want to set top/bottom in tandem, not just top margin, though).

3. I like the idea of word count, but it should also be optional, perhaps viewable through a right-click menu. I really don't want anything on the screen except my text.

Thanks again!
Aug 4, 2009 at 1:46 AM

Hi,

A great idea it was to create a distraction free environment for Word. It was just what I was looking for.

I have a question however:

Why would one conceive of the idea of a distraction free environment and then finish it off by putting a little flashing line and column indicator at the bottom of the screen that draws the eye each and every time one presses a key! Not even MS have gone to such lengths to distract me; at least their distractions don't flash at me as I type. Is the whole thing some kind of nasty joke?

Thanks again!

Coordinator
Oct 16, 2009 at 1:51 PM

Just released a new version 1.3 of Writespace. Some of you will be happy to hear that I got rid of the irritating animated row/col information thing in the corner. If you want to see the current row/col now you can move the mouse pointer to the lower right corner and it will "light up".

Also added a command line program and an IronRuby ditto just for fun. The command line version works pretty well if pinned to the Windows 7 Taskbar ;)

Future version will have word count, top/bottom margins and option to change background. Stay tuned.

Dec 5, 2009 at 12:10 AM
Edited Dec 5, 2009 at 2:41 PM

I like the app, but I'm not able to use the newest version.

I get a .net error.

ETA: I have .net 3.5 installed, and I get this error.

Name:
From: file:///C:/Documents and Settings/Administrator/My Documents/Downloads/Writespace/Writespace.vsto

"The required version of the .NET Framework is not installed on this computer."

************** Exception Text **************
Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.InstallAddInFailedException: "The required version of the .NET Framework is not installed on this computer."
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.InstallAddIn()
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.SolutionInstaller.<>c__DisplayClass7.<Install>b__0()

Coordinator
May 7, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Hi and sorry for not getting back to you earlier about the installer problem. I hope the new release will take care of that. The problems you have may have to do with a know issue with click-once builds on pre-releases of Windows 7, which I was using at the time!

Please try the new msi-installer and see if it works.

/Johan

May 27, 2010 at 2:39 AM

Just wanted to say that I love your piece of software. So simple, yet so effective. The way things are meant to be done. Love the adjustable margins. That was key.

All that being said, I'm using the add-on on Word 2007 on a netbook, running Windows XP. I find that the display of characters on the screen lags quite a bit relative to the speed at which I'm typing them. Sometimes (when writespace has been open for a while), but not always, I can honestly stop typing and watch as the display catches up. I'm hoping future versions will resolve this issue. In other words, it would be much better if it was just a little lighter (resource-wise) and faster (response-time).

Jun 20, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Very good application.

It lacks a important (to me) feature, just like all other fullscreen editors for windows (I should know, I've tried them all).

It does not keep the cursor line in the middle of the page.

(in other words, have the page scroll up as you write, but keeping the working line always at the same height, like in a typewriter, so that when you look up from the keyboard, you always know where you are)

The original fullscreen editors for Mac, such as Writeroom, all have this feature which I find priceless. Apparently it is very hard to have this in Windows!

Should Writespace support this, it would be the perfect thing.

Jun 20, 2010 at 4:37 PM

After testing it on office 2010 I tried installing this on office 2003 (using the appropriate installer) on another machine.

Unfortunately, the addin does not appear anywhere, nor in the shortcut menu nor between all the commands in the customize window. I installed the additional components you also suggest but nothing changed. Writespace appears installed in the system, and it is listed among the Word addins in the registry. But if I look for it in the COM addins window inside Word, there is no trace of it. For some reason word 2003 does not pick it up. Any ideas?

Jul 21, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Wonderful add-on, just what I've been looking for a long time: thank you very much.

I think the ability to change the background color of the text box, or just change background color, is important. On writting long texts, clear letters against black backgroud is hard for your eyes. So if cainrisen would like to make his/her contributtion, my happiness would be complete :-)

Thanks again

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:51 PM

This is a great and productive piece of code, thank you for creating it.  It takes a generous nature to give something like this to the world.

I agree with amengs that if one could change the background color (even if only to switch white for black) Writespace would be perfect.  In a sunny room with a netbook, the contrast with a dark background is hard on the eyes during a long writing session.  

Best wishes for you and all your projects.

Nov 14, 2010 at 9:11 PM
Edited Nov 14, 2010 at 9:25 PM

This is an excellent idea to implement the distract-free environment with Word. Great job!

I would like to add one suggestion here. We knew WriteSpace could change font type and color. But, the ability to change the background color is missing. Could you implement it into WriteSpace in the later release?

I think FocusWriter is a good example on showing how theme works. http://gottcode.org/focuswriter/

Nov 15, 2010 at 8:57 PM

This is an excellent add-on.  If you're taking suggestions, I'd like to see either an extra space between paragraphs, or an automatic tab at the start of paragraphs just for viewing purposes.   If you manually insert a tab, it shows up in your document and then you have to manually remove it--for every paragraph.   I'd also like a draggable top/bottom margin.  Or at least a single line space between the top of the screen and a draggable margin along the bottom. 

Otherwise it's my favorite add-on for Word. 

Jan 19, 2011 at 4:44 PM

I also downloaded the Office2003 version and got nothing - eg. the install was successful, but the app is invisible and un-invokable (if that's a word). My configuration is Office2003 on WinXPSP3 on a Thinkpad T60.

I like the idea, am a regular DarkRoom user, and recently installed the Google Chrome WriteSpace app. A Firefox app would be most preferred, but the Word add-in looked too good to pass up. Where's it hiding?

Mar 18, 2011 at 11:25 PM

Great plugin! But the floating "Ln:" at the bottom right corner, is it the word count? It doesn't align well and I can't see what's after "Ln:". I'm using Vista with Word 2007.

Coordinator
May 21, 2015 at 6:11 PM
Hi all, Writespace got a spark of new life yesterday. There's a new version for Word 2013 with most of the features you all asked for implemented :)
  • Background color
  • Top margin
  • Text alignment
  • Word Count
Hope you like it, please try out and spread the Word :)